About Me

My photo
Hello there from sunny Nth Qld in Australia...the luckiest country on the planet AT THE MOMENT! I'm retired and recently widowed. I love to travel . Airplane, boat, walking but mostly by means of my motorcycle. I love to garden too. I have a wee small doggie named George and an old cat named Kitty. Two years on from Tim passing we three have almost sorted out living without him. I think it will be 'almost' forever more.Can't see me being over it completely if you know what I mean. I intend to fill these blogs with my journey on my bike.Too much has happened in the space between today and my last blog. This is my last ditch effort to revive my creative writing skills.

Thursday, July 11, 2024

“Filling the Gap” Blogs. (That's what I ought to call it!)

    This week, I had friends stop over on their way around Australia, doing the Big Lap. I like my solitude but  I was excited for them and loved that my garage was full to the brim with bikes of all kinds. It was only for one night! Not only are they riding but they're Blogging, as they go! Put me to shame. While they were here, I got a little bum kick, and picked up my pen.

Intrepid travellers Andrew John Jenny and Tracey.
And their rides that would fit!

It took me two days to even find my BlogSpot! Since my last entry, I've done my own Lap. Solo Nana, I've been christened. I left on the 1st of August 2020, a false start due COVID lockdowns. It was still a bit tricky a year later, but it certainly made for an interesting experience. I had the best time ever. I always say that. I did it on my Valkyrie and took 4 1/2 months of which six weeks at the end, was in NSW waiting to come across the border. It was a trying time, but on reflection, I had the best time ever. There I go again.



Suzuki R3 in NZ


BFitt on Mt Stuart. Very social gym...very!


When March '22 rolled around, I decided to go to Antarctica on an expedition cruise. I needed to get fit for that, so I joined a gym. 


By the time I left for South America in November, I was trim, taut and terrific and possibly one of the strongest passengers on the ship. “Oh, here comes Kerry. She'll get this door open.”  A memorable journey for sure. 

I forgot to mention I bought a caravan when I came home from doing the Lap. I had thought, “Stuff this camping caper and riding long distances. I'll do it in comfort.” My wee piggy van sat in the driveway while I went to the gym and to see the Big Ice Continent. Still sits in the driveway, although I did take it for a spin in 2023 to try it out. I was wondering if I should keep it. I think I will…. I came home from The Lap tired. Packing up camp every day and even just loading bike from a motel room wore me out. In retrospect I probably should have gone to the gym earlier!

In the last few years, I’ve been on the lookout for a new bike. My Beast by no means is worn out, but if I wasn’t going to do long trips anymore, I should get something smaller! In July last year,  Honda brought out a CB750 Hornet. It fits me. It's the right inside leg measurement. “I don't need a big tourer, any anymore? I'm not going on anymore long trips, remember?”

It was my 70th time round the sun in 2023. I can honestly say I feel healthier than I have been since...gee… when I was delivering milk at Pallarenda in 1980! Wrinklier and grey haired but fit as. Thanks to BFitt Gym at Castle Town, who push and prod me into action every day, except Sundays. I have a ball. Happy fit, old people. That's what the world needs!

Seventy was celebrated with a surprise party. “Thanks Kids.” and the rest of the year rolled on, with me spending time thinking about what adventure I could get up to next!

January 2024, I went to NZ and hired a small bike and rode around the South Island for three weeks. It was a Suzuki R3. I came home and planned a long-distance adventure on my new Baby. If I could ride that 350cc for three weeks and have a ball, imagine what I could do on my new bike. 

Over 7000 kilometres later, Townsville to Penola SA, taking in The Great Ocean Road, up and down through the middle of Victoria and NSW then home. In that time away, I did a multiday walk from Port McDonnell to Penola to test myself. I wanted to know if I could do part of the Camino de Santiago in Spain!

Sunrise that first morning. What a way to start the day!
 
 

Mt Schank. First days walk 22ks. I was so tired!




A Red Gum lane way (Lovers Lane)Kalangadoo and
 us walkers on second last day.
By the time I rode home, I'd almost talked myself into doing the whole 800 kilometres and not just a one or two hundred k slice. I'm still on the fence about it. There are a lot of ducks to line up for that much time away; House sitter, Georgie and my ‘normal’ life to shuffle around.

I'm still a bit of a loner and have spent many hours on the couch with counselling to sort that out. I wasn't unhappy to stay at home and alone during the covid crisis. The thing is, if you can't be happy with your own company, it's probably fair to say no one else will be either. I'll talk about that in another blog!




Line Up at Lake Cargeligo NSW
Gilgandra NSW

The Lights in the west of Vic
Sunset at Wycheproof Vic
'Baby' at Pt McDonnell SA




Saw lots of these while doing the walk in SA
There I was...out in the middle of somewhere!






No comments:

Post a Comment