About Me

My photo
Hello there from sunny Nth Qld in Australia...the luckiest country on the planet AT THE MOMENT! I'm retired and recently widowed. I love to travel . Airplane, boat, walking but mostly by means of my motorcycle. I love to garden too. I have a wee small doggie named George and an old cat named Kitty. Two years on from Tim passing we three have almost sorted out living without him. I think it will be 'almost' forever more.Can't see me being over it completely if you know what I mean. I intend to fill these blogs with my journey on my bike.Too much has happened in the space between today and my last blog. This is my last ditch effort to revive my creative writing skills.

Sunday, August 9, 2015

All going to plan  regardless of whether we want them or not we have them. Totally oblivious to them for the first couple of years then you'll be counting the days down till the next one for the forthcoming 4 or 5 decades after which, what's left of them you will prefer to ignore and hope that nobody notices. Yes, folks. Its birthdays, whether we want them or not! I mean we all want them and relish in getting older but not necessarily to be reminded especially if life has been a bit harsh! August is full of them for us. In the past we have had enormous parties to co-celebrate our main milestones 50/55 and 60/65 and so on. Memorable occasions that our friends still talk about! I think my party arranging days are over now though. I'll leave that to the kids. Mind you this year we have received a bonus.

I'm not sure for how long but I have been telling everyone I'm 63 this year. I even recall someone telling me I look good for my age. Maybe last year I had the years wrong as well. I am so unconvinced I've had to do the sums over and over to check. 2015 take away 1953 comes up with the same answer every time and yet I still disbelieve! Is it because I feel old? Is it because we have crammed so much into the last couple of years it literally feels like it should be an extra year squeezed in there somehow? Im not sure but when you get to my age to suddenly have an extra year thrown in that you didn't know you had is a bit like winning the lottery.  Quite a few of our friends and relatives have fallen from their perches already not to mention a few who are poorly so we are constantly reminded that our time left here on the Earthly plane is dwindling fast and to make each day count is paramount. So by my calculation, or miss calculation I have an extra year to spend.

We have a busy 8 months ahead of us with a cruise to PNG in November and then another to Kangaroo Is in February. When we get home from that it will be a quick change into our riding gear and heading off to Tasmania and who knows where after that! How am I going to get the benefits of that extra year when I am so booked up anyway? I thought maybe I tack it onto the end but friends said not a good idea. "You may not be so good at the end. Best spend it while your feeling good."
Sound advice I thought!

I have planned a few overnight rides to pin in my callendar for the next few weeks to take advantage of the fabulous weather here in sunny North Queensland. Our little modern suburban block is in need of a few more trees and shrubs which will keep me fit and busy as well. I have book to write...maybe that is why I have been given this extra year...to finally put a full stop to that! Whatever I do with my extra year I guarentee it won't be wasted!  
                                                                 Party 2013 circa.

1 comment: